Sunday, August 23, 2009

Our last weekend in NOLA

Our last weekend in NOLA we decided to take the kids to the Audubon Insectarium. The boys had been 'bugging' us to go ever since it opened. (I really wanted to go too!)


The boys, ready to terrorize the Insectarium
They have all these cool giant bugs all over the walls. I, ahem, the kids loved em!

Logan and an earthworm. Reminds me of Honey I Shrunk The Kids!

Logan and Bryn in tunnel

There was a display of a kitchen cupboard with, dare I say it, cockroaches crawling around. You could stick your head in these bubbles and get up close and personal with them. Ewwww!

Bryn, Hayden and Logan sitting on an alligator in the LA exhibit.

Bryn, all smiles

The boys trying on some insect armor



My favorite part...BUTTERFLIES!
Here are some of my favorite pics.

Logan is so fascinated with bugs and spiders. I love seeing things through my kid's eyes. It's like seeing something for the first time.
It was so awesome to walk around and see all the butterflies flitting around. The landscape was beautiful too.

Notice, I am not pictured in any photo and neither was grandma Judy :(
Isn't that always the way

Looks like this guy is looking right back at me



This was my favorite pic I took because it reminded me of my favorite painting by Van Gogh -Death's Head Moth, even though this is a owl eye butterfly


A stone on the way out of the butterfly exhibit reads:
Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you. ~Monet
It was so peaceful and lovely in there. I could have stayed in there all day.

Boys driving a LOVE BUG
LOVED the Insectarium! It is definitely a must see, especially if you have a budding entomologist! It was truly an amazing and fun adventure. The Insectarium is certainly a great addition to the Audubon family!


Had to take a picture of a street car on our way out.
(Not a trolley, not a cable car, a streetcar!)

Of course we had to stop for ice cream on this hot day. We went to the Creole Creamery in the Historic Garden District. Just outside are the now famous water meters.
(Inspired my jewelry, it's a NOLA thing)
Oh look, my feet. I am in a photo afterall!



They are known for some crazy ice cream flavors and were featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives on The Food Network

Yummy, yummy in my tummy

The pièce de résistance...lavender-honey ice cream...mmmmmm!

It was a fun day and a sad day. NOLA hasn't seen the last of the Barbers though. The boys grew up in LA and Brynnie was born there. LA will always seem like a home away from home!

1 comment:

freckleface said...

The Audubon Zoo read and LOVED my post! How cool!